DIY Necronomicon! Happy Halloween!

necronomicon2

I’ve been wanting to do this for years…Necronomicon Halloween prop!

I started with a hardbound artist sketch book, but you could use any old hardbound book. The thrift store would be a great place to find one.

I used brown paper grocery bags, ModgePodge (white glue would work just fine), and Celluclay.

IMG_7200IMG_7202First I created a base by wrapping the book with the brown paper. I used ModgePodge mixed with 50% water (white glue in the same proportion would work fine). I brushed it on the book to help hold the paper, then wrapped the paper and taped on the inside.IMG_7203IMG_7205IMG_7206For the next layer I soaked the brown paper in the 50/50 solution, crunched it up to wrinkle it and give it texture, then added it to the front cover. I wrinkled it up around the edges to give it the right look.IMG_7207IMG_7209IMG_7211

IMG_7210Next I mixed up the Celluclay. It is basically paper pulp used for sculpting. It is easy to use, mixes with water and dries hard and ready to sand, paint, or add to. In this case I used the 50/50 solution, as I had extra, and it worked great.IMG_7213IMG_7215I formed the chunky bits with my fingers and spread the Celluclay on the cover, looking at my reference photo for guidance. I used a chopstick and flat screwdriver to press and gouge.necronomiconcreation2necronomiconcreationAt this point I let it dry till the next day when it was ready to paint. I could have sanded it a bit to smooth it out but this was good enough for me 🙂 I let it dry overnight.IMG_7232I used acrylic paints, starting with a dark layer to give depth in the deeper areas.IMG_7233IMG_7234I used it watery then dabbed off the excess with a rag.IMG_7235Next came the more flesh-toned layer. I mixed my own but  you could easily just buy an appropriate flesh-tone paint. This is brushed on a bit more lightly, and watery. I again dabbed up the excess with a rag.IMG_7236The final paint layer is light highlights. I used white mixed with the flesh-tone, fairly watery, and lightly brushed it across the highest parts, again dabbing off with a rag to blend and get up the excess.

I am very happy with the end result.

necronomicon8necronomicon2necronomicon7necronomicon4necronomicom6necronomicon3My very own Necronomicon! Ashy Slashy would be proud 🙂

 

Advertisements

It’s HALLOWEEN!! Part 3 of 3 Spooky Decor 2019: Saved the Best for Last…

(Part 1 HERE) (Part 2 HERE)

It’s HALLOWEEN!! I’ve saved the best for last. I do most of the decorating in the dining area, as it can be seen from every part of of the house and is a pass-through to other rooms. Our Victorian Glam Goth theme is in full swing…

halloween2019diningtable4The table, center of it all, is where I usually put the most attention. This year I added a black sequin table topper from Amazon and led candles  on sale from Costco. Everything else we’ve had for years.halloween2019diningtable3halloween2019diningroomnighthalloween2019diningtablehalloween2019diningtablenight

This is Mistress Tia, our Voodoo Queen, standing at her Voodoo altar. We used to have her in our entry at the old house, but that doesn’t work here. My husband had the great idea of putting her on our covered back porch looking in. I love it, so spooky. (Mistress Tia is a vintage mannequin dressed in one of my old handmade Halloween costumes).

halloween2019mistress2halloween2019mistressnighthalloween2019mistresshalloween2019counterdayhalloween2019counter I kept the kitchen bar counter more simple and elegant this year, to go with the table decor.halloween2019diningroom2halloween2019monsterpicsI still love these little monster portraits I added a plastic spider to cover the pin in the wall. (Artwork by Travis Louie)

Have a Delightfully Spooky Halloween!! Thanks for looking 🙂

Beware the Crawling Eye! A Fun Halloween DIY Using an Exercise Ball and Old Sheets.

eyepaintedclose  eyeblacklight

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

It’s my favorite holiday, so I tend to go a little nuts. This year I added some new fun with an eye theme in the front yard, with the Crawling Eye as the centerpiece (based on the admittedly awful 1950’s sci-fi movie by the same name.) Here’s the DIY:

Continue reading