Halloween 2016 Decor Part 2 – the Main Room

Welcome to Halloween Decor 2016 Part 2! The Main Room is our party room, the first room in the house through the entry and the one seen through the front window, and so, it is the room that gets the most attention. Ie: all the coolest Halloween stuff. Just about everything is either diy or found at thrift stores and yard sales.

halloweenpan

Above is an admittedly crappily pieced-together panorama of the main room. (hey, photoshop isn’t my strong suit)  (see the Voodoo entry on the right in Part 1) Here are some details:

halloweenhousemain1Looking into the main room from the entry.

halloweenhousemain2Looking into the main room from the living room.

We found a couple new goodies for this area. The light-up skull and hands is a $5 thrift store find, and we found the clear glass skulls at Ross. The delightful monster art in the red frames is by Travis Louie. Below is our usual vintage collection with a new glittery black skeleton procured at a yard sale for $3.

A couple new thrift store goodies on the table…a “Thing” candle holder and a skull that I painted metallic silver.

halloween2016mainroombarTo give the bar a spooky glow I elevated the Lucite tray on a book and put a string of red lights underneath. The striped candles are simply white candles with black electrical tape wrapped around them. See more of the Halloween DIYs in the Halloween posts from 2014 & 2015.

Next time, Part 3…

Beware the Crawling Eye! A Fun Halloween DIY Using an Exercise Ball and Old Sheets.

eyepaintedclose  eyeblacklight

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

It’s my favorite holiday, so I tend to go a little nuts. This year I added some new fun with an eye theme in the front yard, with the Crawling Eye as the centerpiece (based on the admittedly awful 1950’s sci-fi movie by the same name.) Here’s the DIY:

eyesupplies

It all started with an exercise ball. Then I added a plastic eye we found at the thrift store for .49 cents, florescent spray paint, Great Stuff gap filler, foam from our old bed, and a couple old sheets. I used a glue gun to wrap the ball in fabric first. It’s ok to wrap it kind of messy, you actually want the folds and bumps in the fabric for added texture.

eyefabriccovered eyeballfabric

Next came the legs, which were cut out of old sheets. It doesn’t matter too much what they look like, as they will be mostly painted. I used the glue gun again to attached the two sides to each other, though sewing them would have been better. I turned them out and stuffed them with some old foam, though you could use newspaper, foam peanuts, or whatever flexible, light-weight material you have lying around. The hardest part is attaching the stuffed legs to the ball. I used a glue gun, though it would have held better if I started by attaching the legs with a few stitches first. (I was short on time and rushed this project). The eye was also attached with the hot glue. It can all be somewhat messily done, as you’ll be covering up all the edges in the next step.

eyecuttinglegs eyelegsstuff eyecovered

The final steps were done outside on a tarp. What really makes this project look awesome is the “Great Stuff” gap filler. I used it to cover all the edges and create creepy texture over the whole thing.

eyefoamed

When the foam was dry, I used orange and green florescent spray paint to finish him off. He now sits happily on the front porch under a black light to frighten our visitors. The entire project took just over 2 hours.

eyepainted eyepaintedcloseeyeinplaceeyeblacklight

I’ll post more pictures of our eye-themed front yard soon, as well as all the inside decorations. Happy Halloween everyone! I’d love to see your Halloween projects in the comments section!