I’ve been wanting to do this for years…Necronomicon Halloween prop!
I started with a hardbound artist sketch book, but you could use any old hardbound book. The thrift store would be a great place to find one.
I used brown paper grocery bags, ModgePodge (white glue would work just fine), and Celluclay.
First I created a base by wrapping the book with the brown paper. I used ModgePodge mixed with 50% water (white glue in the same proportion would work fine). I brushed it on the book to help hold the paper, then wrapped the paper and taped on the inside.For the next layer I soaked the brown paper in the 50/50 solution, crunched it up to wrinkle it and give it texture, then added it to the front cover. I wrinkled it up around the edges to give it the right look.
Next I mixed up the Celluclay. It is basically paper pulp used for sculpting. It is easy to use, mixes with water and dries hard and ready to sand, paint, or add to. In this case I used the 50/50 solution, as I had extra, and it worked great.I formed the chunky bits with my fingers and spread the Celluclay on the cover, looking at my reference photo for guidance. I used a chopstick and flat screwdriver to press and gouge.At this point I let it dry till the next day when it was ready to paint. I could have sanded it a bit to smooth it out but this was good enough for me 🙂 I let it dry overnight.I used acrylic paints, starting with a dark layer to give depth in the deeper areas.I used it watery then dabbed off the excess with a rag.Next came the more flesh-toned layer. I mixed my own but you could easily just buy an appropriate flesh-tone paint. This is brushed on a bit more lightly, and watery. I again dabbed up the excess with a rag.The final paint layer is light highlights. I used white mixed with the flesh-tone, fairly watery, and lightly brushed it across the highest parts, again dabbing off with a rag to blend and get up the excess.
I am very happy with the end result.
My very own Necronomicon! Ashy Slashy would be proud 🙂