Found hanging lamps made-over for the Chic Rock Star Glam Bedroom Re-do.
Happy Monday Make-over! I finished restyling this pair of hanging lamps over the weekend for the big bedroom redo. I found these vintage fixtures abandoned in the alley just down the street. I can’t resist a good challenge, so I grabbed them. They had seen better days for sure, but they still worked, the metal was undamaged, and the wiring was intact. I’m guessing they were early 1970’s.
I started by removing the dated glass panels (two were missing anyway). The intricate design of the metal frames was too difficult to sand, so I went over them well with a hard wire brush to prep them for painting. 4 coats of white gloss metal spray paint and they have new life.
I decided to use pretty hand-made papers instead of replacing the glass. This way I can easily change the look anytime I want just by changing out the paper. I found the fun dragon paper at Meinenger Art Materials here in Denver (Check your local art supply, most will have a nice selection of fine papers) I used one of the old glass panels as a template, and cut out the paper “panels” with an exacto blade.
I gently taped the papers down on the inside on the lamps with a little black electrical tape. (I have compact florescent bulbs in the lamps so they don’t get too hot to pose a fire risk). And here they are competed! I really like the way they turned out. The whole project cost $13.75 for the paint and paper.
And here is one hanging in the new bedroom. I’ll be showing the whole bedroom redo soon! Only a couple more projects to go…
I’d LOVE to have this for the bedroom…